Travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth has detailed notable travel trends among Americans this spring.
Where are Americans traveling this spring?
World Events Impact Americans’ Choices for Spring Travel Destinations
- Relaxed travel restrictions boost travel to Cuba by 178%
- With severe Zika virus outbreak, spring travel to Puerto Rico is down 24%
- Spring travel to Zika-free Bahamas rose 14%
- Following recent terrorist attacks in Brussels and Istanbul, spring travel to Belgium fell 12% and Turkey decreased by 55%
Spain Rises Among Top 5 International Destinations
- Mexico (+4.0%)
- Italy (+19%)
- Spain (+25%)
- France (-3.0%)
- United Kingdom (-1.1%)
- United Kingdom
Spring 2016 includes percentage change in total travelers over the previous year.
What are travelers concerned about this spring?
Search Patterns Indicate Increased Terrorism Concern for Spring Travel
- Number of travelers looking for Terrorism coverage when buying a policy increased by 71%
- Percentage of spring travelers to the U.K. searching for Terrorism coverage increased by 275%
Searches for Terrorism Coverage – Top 5 International Destinations
- Italy (+37%)
- United Kingdom (+275%)
- France (-21%)
- Spain (+102%)
- Israel (-14%)
Squaremouth.com allows travelers to narrow their results using filters when searching for travel insurance coverage that is important to them. This data is based on the percentage of travelers using the Terrorism filter to purchase a travel insurance policy.
Who is traveling this spring?
Baby Boomers Most Likely to Insure Spring Travel
- Travelers aged 50-69 accounted for 43% of Squaremouth customers with spring trips
Retirees Enjoy Longer, More Expensive Spring Trips
- Travelers aged 65+ spend the most and take the longest trips, spending an average of $2,575 per person and taking trips for an average of 16 days
- Millennials spend the least on spring travel, an average of $1,121 per person
- Families with children take the shortest spring trips, an average of 10 days
How much are Americans spending on spring travel?
Americans Taking More Expensive Spring Trips
- The average total cost of a trip this spring is $6,940, an increase of 9.5% over last spring
- Over the past three years, Americans have increased their spending on spring trips by 25%
Top Destinations Show Range of Spending
- Italy is the most expensive of the top 5 destinations, with Americans spending an average of $4,882 on their trip
- Mexico is the least expensive of the top 5 destinations, with Americans spending an average of $2,351 on their trip
All data is based on American travelers insured on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth for travel during 3/1-5/31/16. Travelers who are visiting multiple countries only have to enter one destination when purchasing a policy on Squaremouth.com. This report represents the destinations selected by travelers. Statistics reflect changes from the same period in 2015 unless otherwise noted.