IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) announced that 160,000 colleagues from its hotels and corporate offices in 88 countries around the world took part in its second annual Giving for Good month, which is dedicated to making a positive difference to communities.
For each IHG colleague that took part, IHG contributed funds totaling $400,000 to charitable organizations supporting four causes important to IHG in the areas of water and sanitation; waste reduction; hospitality skills building; and disaster relief.
Making a positive local difference on a global scale
During the month of September, IHG colleagues were invited to come together and give back through activities focused on volunteering; making a positive difference to the environment; or organizing an activity focused on health, fitness, and wellbeing; and Giving for Good month 2019 was once again a truly global effort.
Tens of thousands of colleague activities took place around the world. These include beach clean-ups in Thailand, charity concerts in China, reforestation in Mexico, a hospitality work shadowing day in Dubai, food harvests in the US, and hot meals for the homeless in Germany. Together, over the course of the month, IHG colleagues achieved:
- 188,113 hours of volunteering
- 46,571 acts of care for the environment
- 33,566 donations of food and belongings
- 5,741 blood donations
Keith Barr, Chief Executive Officer, IHG, commented: “For the second year in a row I’ve been blown away by the incredible efforts of thousands of IHG colleagues who came together to make a positive difference all around the world. Every day, our hotels and teams give back to the communities of which they’re such a big part – it’s what our purpose of providing True Hospitality for everyone is all about. I’m incredibly proud of how our colleagues got involved during this dedicated month of giving, which has such a real and meaningful impact.”
- More than 5,700 colleagues around the world donated blood, including at Hotel Indigo® Bangkok Wireless Road, Thailand.
- Colleagues from our Shanghai hotels came together with our Greater China corporate office to volunteer at NPI Shanghai, an organization supporting the elderly and children with learning disabilities.
- Teams at our Americas corporate office in Atlanta, Georgia, US, supported United Way of Greater Atlanta by building career-readiness kits for students going into work.
- IHG hotels and teams across New York City volunteered and served breakfast at the Ronald McDonald House New York, an organization that provides temporary housing for young cancer patients and their families.
- Holiday Inn® Sydney Airport, Australia, invited IHG hotels across the city to visit its resident food truck, with the purpose of raising money for food rescue charity, OzHarvest.
- InterContinental® Dusseldorf volunteered at the Gute Nacht Bus project, aimed at supporting the vulnerable and homeless on the city’s streets.