A recent survey conducted by American Express Travel discovered that older Gen Z’ers want to pay for premium, especially when it comes to hotels.
With an overwhelming amount of travel options and information at their fingertips, consumers are searching for a trusted advisor to help streamline the travel process – from planning to booking to on-the-ground experiences. One of the ways that American Express helps to simplify this process for Platinum Card® Members is by providing them with access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program, a trusted and vetted a list of premium hotels.
American Express Travel compiled a list of top trending destinations to take advantage of the last days of summer — based off American Express’ US Card Member’s proprietary booking data and year over year growth — along with some carefully selected properties to stay at from the Fine Hotels & Resorts portfolio, to give readers insight into the exclusive perks and benefits to eligible AmEx Platinum Cardholders who book through AmexTravel.com.
Top trending destinations were dominated by unconventional locations abroad that are giving a whole new meaning to summer vacation:
- Da Nang, Vietnam; 97% YoY Growth
- This emerging destination in Vietnam has slowly crept its way up the list after new modernist hotels, apartments, and restaurants continue to pop up. For a truly unique experience, visit the InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort, an American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts property. You’ll never want to leave after indulging in private gondolas, a world-class spa, an on-site nightclub, a Michelin-starred restaurant and most importantly, the beautiful scenery.
- Ljubljana, Slovenia; 91% YoY Growth
- It’s no surprise that Slovenia’s capital and largest city, and Europe’s greenest city, is continuing to see a steady rise in tourism. With lavish hotels such as American Express’ Fine Hotels & Resorts Property InterContinental Ljubljana, Ljubljana is becoming more accessible for all types of travelers looking for a vacation to remember.
- Iguazu Falls, Argentina; 79% YoY Growth
- With more than one million visitors a year – Iguazu Falls is more popular than ever with travelers looking for breathtaking and awe-inspiring beauty. Visitors can come to visit the Argentinean side and the Brazilian side in just a day. Visit the only hotel inside Brazil’s National Park at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, another Fine Hotels & Resorts Property where you can get the exclusive chance to witness the rare natural atmospheric phenomena of a lunar rainbow, where the full moon produces a multi-colored arc over the falls
- Ponta Delgada, Portugal; 79% YoY Growth
- With Delta’s new daily flights from JFK direct to Ponta Delgada, in just under 6 hours New Yorkers can easily escape the city and experience an international string of islands in the Atlantic Ocean. The number of tourists from the US to the Azores has grown from around 13,000 in 2014 to an estimated 70,000 in 2019, according to its tourism board.
Additional survey findings include:
- Half of the consumers surveyed would be willing to spend up to $50 more on a $500 hotel bill for early check-in or late check-out
- Over 50% of consumers like to use the same brands of hotels every time they travel because they like knowing what they will get no matter where they are traveling and are willing to pay more for this
- Older Gen Z’ers are two times more likely than boomers to spend more on luxury experiences this year
- 74% of Older Gen Z’ers believe a premium hotel is worth the cost