In terms of hotel brand expansion, Hilton Worldwide is leading. This data has been revealed by a ranking of TOPHOTELPROJECTS, the specialized service provider in the exchange of information between clients and contractors in the international hotel industry. By aggressively expanding their presence, Hilton Worldwide is trying to move ahead of leader IHG.
With over 686,000 rooms, the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) is currently the largest hotel group overall, but the group has significantly reduced the speed of its growth. Its budget brand, Holiday Inn Express, is the only IHG brand on the list, squeezing in at tenth place.
Hilton is leading with charge this year, with the first four spots being taken by its brands Hampton by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Garden Inn and Doubletree by Hilton. While Starwood Hotels’ future is up in the air most likely until the end of March, it shows up on the rankings with its Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton and “Generation Y” brand Aloft, which is increasing its international presence. Carlson Rezidor is focussing its master brand Radisson Blu, however further hotel projects for the group’s young brands Radisson Red and Swissotel are also planned.
Ranking of the hotel brands with the most hotel construction projects
- Hampton by Hilton – 148 projects / 19,799 rooms – 2,092 hotels / 207,138 rooms
- Hilton Hotels & Resorts – 143 projects / 44,405 rooms – 565 hotels / 203,797 rooms
- Hilton Garden Inn – 126 projects / 22,687 rooms – 659 hotels / 91,492 rooms
- Doubletree by Hilton – 110 projects / 27,402 rooms – 442 hotels / 107,965 rooms
- Sheraton Hotels & Resorts – 94 projects / 26,541 rooms – 446 hotels / 156,432 rooms
- Four Points by Sheraton – 87 projects / 21,611 rooms – 210 hotels / 36,764 rooms
- Radisson Blu Hotels & Resorts – 82 projects / 17,641 rooms – 389 hotels / 91,759 rooms
- Aloft Hotels – 80 projects / 14,297 rooms – 104 hotels / 17,357 rooms
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts – 78 projects / 26.633 rooms – 526 hotels / 187,277 rooms
- Express by Holiday Inn – 77 projects / 12.822 rooms – 2,425 hotels / 236,406 rooms