Rydges Melbourne is undergoing a complete transformation and will re-open in Autumn 2023 positioned as a flagship property for the group.
Perfectly positioned for both business and leisure travellers, Rydges Melbourne is located in the heart of the city’s vibrant theatre district and only moments from exclusive Collins Street boutiques, major sporting precincts, Emporium, Melbourne Central and the Bourke Street Mall. The new Rydges flagship property will feature:
- 370 fully refurbished rooms.
- 3 different accommodation types including 310 king standard rooms, 35 suites and the addition of 25 apartments. The new Rydges apartments include kitchenettes, laundry, separate lounge/dining spaces and spacious bathrooms, responding to the needs of the bleisure traveller.
- All rooms feature the recognised signature Rydges DreamBeds to ensure guests have everything they need for the best night’s sleep.
- The property boasts one of Melbourne’s largest conference and event venues following the addition of nine newly created spaces, spanning 1500 sqm across two levels. The additional spaces include a large room that can be converted into three smaller spaces which open onto the newly created Rooftop Terrace, an expansive outdoor area overlooking Her Majesty’s Theatre and Chinatown, delivering a completely new entertainment space to Melbourne. In addition, the location features an impressive ballroom space with soaring ceilings of nearly 7m and state of the art technology AV, perfect for any occasion from a cocktail party to gala dinner.
- A new signature restaurant inspired by the hotel’s location within Melbourne’s Theatre district and will celebrate the theatre of food
Every element of the Rydges Melbourne transformation is focussed on better maximising the property by creating new spaces in previously underutilised areas and responding to guest needs.
The Rydges group brand positioning is ‘refreshingly local’ and to best interpret this, the EVT design team in collaboration with architects Luchetti Krelle focussed on elements that truly reflect the brand philosophy. The textures and tones of the interior are calm and naturally Australian. The property retains its Modernist exterior, while having interior and social spaces capitalising on the abundance of natural light with fresh, light timber walls, natural stone floors and dramatic tapering ceilings that culminate in features that draw your gaze skywards, alongside locally manufactured bespoke light fixtures.
True to the Rydges brand, the artwork in the public areas, guestrooms and corridors have a natural rawness, and celebrates the best of local talent. Interior designer Janet Graham spent many months researching and engaging with the local Victorian art community to compile a long list of artists’ works on mixed mediums to enhance the guest’s local experience.
Jane Hastings, CEO EVT commented “This is a key city asset in the EVT property portfolio and in transforming the property we wanted to ensure we could unlock the value of previously underutilised spaces and better reflect the new direction for the Rydges brand as truly local. The legendary Bobby McGees, which closed last year, has been converted into an impressive ballroom space with soaring ceilings of nearly 7m. The additional new conference spaces that open out to an expansive veranda, was previously an unused low-level rooftop. The new Rydges Apartments reflect the needs of today’s travellers. We cannot wait to welcome customers to the property in the new year.”
The Rydges portfolio of properties continues to grow with 44 properties across Australia and New Zealand. Rydges are known for providing a refreshing local experience and a genuine down to earth service style.
“Rydges Melbourne will be our flagship location and a destination in its own right. The experience has been designed to meet the needs of the modern traveller by offering the three accommodation types, best in class food and beverage experiences with truly differentiated conference and events spaces. The Rydges Melbourne team are a great team of talent, led by Lee Davey, and reflect who we are, focussed on creating memorable guest experiences with a genuine Australian down to earth style,” Norman Arundel, EVT’s Director of Hotel Operations.
Rydges Melbourne is on-sale now for bookings from June 2023, starting at $270 a night.