Europe is the only world region showing increased hotel construction activity in comparison with the end of Q1 last year, according to March pipeline data from STR.
March 2021 (% changes in comparison with March 2020)
- In Construction: 258,129 rooms (+26.9%)
- Final Planning: 181,101 rooms (+23.7%)
- Planning: 155,615 rooms (-8.8%)
Germany (51,785) and the U.K. (36,919) lead Europe in total rooms in construction.
- In Construction: 462,795 rooms (-3.4%)
- Final Planning: 183,105 rooms (+17.5%)
- Planning: 270,350 rooms (+4.0%)
Among countries in the region, China has the most rooms in construction (283,893), followed by Vietnam (28,657).
Middle East & Africa
- In Construction: 141,914 rooms (-1.9%)
- Final Planning: 45,680 rooms (-4.8%)
- Planning: 53,567 rooms (-29.8%)
United Arab Emirates (43,032 rooms) and Saudi Arabia (37,150 rooms) lead in construction activity. Saudi Arabia tops the world in projected hotel supply growth over the next three years.
- In Construction: 240,635 rooms (-11.6%)
- Final Planning: 254,389 rooms (-13.4%)
- Planning: 265,702 rooms (+2.8%)
The U.S. led the world in new hotel openings during Q1 2021, despite a year-over-year decline in construction activity. In addition to the U.S., Mexico (14,491) and Canada (8,804) have the highest number of rooms in construction in the region.